Partitioning on RHEL

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 10 16:44:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 11:36:55AM -0400, Asaf Maruf wrote:
> I found this formula on Redhat site for calculating swap size.
>
> "Swap space can be a dedicated swap partition (recommended), a swap file, or
> a combination of swap partitions and swap files.
>
> Swap should equal 2x physical RAM for up to 2 GB of physical RAM, and then
> an additional 1x physical RAM for any amount above 2 GB, but never less than
> 32 MB.
>
> So, if:
>
> M = Amount of RAM in GB, and S = Amount of swap in GB, then
>
> If M < 2
> 	S = M *2
> Else
> 	S = M + 2
>
>  Using this formula, a system with 2 GB of physical RAM would have 4 GB of
> swap, while one with 3 GB of physical RAM would have 5 GB of swap. Creating
> a large swap space partition can be especially helpful if you plan to
> upgrade your RAM at a later time."
>
> This confirms my calculation as well.

Really, if you have lots of disk space, then who really cares.  With the
cost of ram these days, any workload that regularly uses any swap simply
needs mroe ram.  I tend to put between 1 and 2 times my ram amount as
swap, just because well disk space is cheap.  I don't expect to ever use
any of that swap space.  Save some time and just do 2x ram if you want.
If you ever add ram, don't worry about increasing swap, since you
shouldn't use swap anyhow.

--
Len Sorensen