Partitioning on RHEL

Asaf Maruf asafmaruf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 10 15:18:55 UTC 2008

Hello

I have a requirement to setup a Dell server with RHEL 5 and Oracle. The
server has six hard disks configured as RAID 1.

The server has 8GB of physical RAM. The disk size of each RAID 1 is 139GB

I am recommending the following partition sizes and swap size.

/                              10GB
/boot                        100-500MB
/var                           2GB
/opt                           2GB
swap                         10GB

I have calculated swap size using the following formula:

Upto 2GB RAM ----> double the swap size  ---> 4GB
Add the remaining 6GB for a total swap size of 10GB

Just need confirmation if this is an adequate partitioning scheme for an
Oracle database server running on Linux.

Thank you in advance.

Asaf Maruf

--
"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much
more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be