ASUS Eee - deal you may know of

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 26 18:52:06 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> As was mentioned in last night's NewTLUG talk on netbooks, one of the
>> critical differences between netbooks, that doesn't come out in feature
>> comparisons, is the keyboard design. In order to get a whole keyboard
>> into a 9"or 10" space, various compromises need to be made, and the
>> different vendors do different compromises. The Dell, for instance, has
>> no separate function keys -- if you want F1 you need to hold down "Fn"
>> and press 1. For some this is an acceptable compromise (in order to make
>> other keys bigger), for some it its not. So have a look, either on the
>> web or in person, at the keyboard layout of the units you're
>> considering. (my personal favourite so far is the HP layout).
>
> I don't think I could work without function keys, although I don't tend
> to like any laptop keyboard in the first place.

The
main difference in the Eee P1000 series keyboards (the 10" ones) are:

- The right shift key is to the right of the up arrow. This took me
about a week to get used to and doesn't bother me at all now.

- The Home/End keys are Fn + left/right arrow and PgUp/PgDn are Fn +
up/down arrow. I got used to this almost right away and actually catch
myself trying to do this on normal keyboards now.

- The keys themselves are 92% off normal size. This never caused me any
trouble, unlike the 7"/9" Eee's keyboard. I was actually surprised at
how nice it is.

Other than that, everything else is as you would expect on a normal
laptop keyboard. The arrow keys are in the normal inverted-T form, all
F# keys are there, '~' is back where it should be (it was beside F1 on
the 7"/9" which I hated), Del/Ins are above the Delete key; common for
laptops.

Madi