ASUS Eee - deal you may know of

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 26 18:31:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:40:21AM -0500, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> It is sometimes more than just the hardware swap. I recall that some
> laptops of a few years ago (and certainly some older thinkpads) had
> BIOSs that would only recognize certain hard disks as being supported.
> It is likely not the case being described here but is worth a check on
> the web if anyone has had problems replacing a disk.

I haven't seen that ever.  I have seen not accepting alternate minipci
wifi cards, but never the HD.

> I would just make the point that there are now quite a few very good
> EeePC competitors around, including (but not limited to):
>
> HP Mini-Note
> Acer Aspire One
> MSI Wind
> Dell Inspiron Mini 9
> Lenovo IdeaPad S10

Just make sure to compare battery size, speed, features, etc.  Sometimes
something that looks like a good deal turns out to be far less than it
appears.

> As was mentioned in last night's NewTLUG talk on netbooks, one of the
> critical differences between netbooks, that doesn't come out in feature
> comparisons, is the keyboard design. In order to get a whole keyboard
> into a 9"or 10" space, various compromises need to be made, and the
> different vendors do different compromises. The Dell, for instance, has
> no separate function keys -- if you want F1 you need to hold down "Fn"
> and press 1. For some this is an acceptable compromise (in order to make
> other keys bigger), for some it its not. So have a look, either on the
> web or in person, at the keyboard layout of the units you're
> considering. (my personal favourite so far is the HP layout).

I don't think I could work without function keys, although I don't tend
to like any laptop keyboard in the first place.

--
Len Sorensen