ASUS Eee - deal you may know of

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 27 04:08:16 UTC 2008

Hi

Thank you for all the information. I do have a good idea of the steps
I will make

> Changing harddrives on a laptop only requires knowledge of how to
> operate a small phillips screw driver.

I will definitely attempt repairing it. As I said before, I had gone
through the process before and it costed me way more than I was happy
about.

Initially, I had thought it was an inverter problem. So, I went out
and looked for Sony's inverter. Then I sat down and took the whole
thing apart. After, replacing the thing, the problem remained. I them
came to realize I need the whole LCD display. It took 3 months to find
an similar old laptop and by then, I had forgotten how to assemble it
again. Anyway, I will update you how it goes.

> Either the harddrive tray has a quick release, or sometimes it needs 1
> or 2 screws removed.  It should then slide out.  You then have to remove
> 4 screws (usually) from the tray holding the drive, and then the drive
> comes out of the tray.  You then get another drive the same size
> (usually 2.5" wide x 9mm as far as I remember, although I think some
> were 12mm thick).  Make sure to get the right IDE or SATA depending on
> what is there.  If you bring the old drive to the computer store it
> should be simple to get something the same interface and size.  You then
> install the new drive in the tray the same way the old one was removed,
> and put it back in the system and do a fresh install of everything, or
> restore from backup, or whatever you like.
>
> Some systems may not support IDE drives larger than 137GB, although SATA
> never has that problem.  Canada computers has 120GB IDE laptop drives
> for $72, so it isn't hugely expensive.  If the machine supports larger
> than 137GB, then a 250GB is $102 and a 160GB is $78.
>
>> That open up the second option, instead of repairing the current
>> system, how about picking one of those inexpensive laptop? I am sure
>> the life of this hard disk would be lengthened if its not switched on
>> every evening, so I would still have access to my data. This option is
>> looking really appealing and therefore the purpose of the post.
>
> Replacing a harddrive does not qualify as a repair job.  More of an
> upgrade.
Thanks for the details. Its a Compaq nx7300 by the way if anyone has
more information.

> If you got an external drive enclosure to put the old drive in, you
> could copy your data over to the new driver that way.
>
>> The way economy is going, one has to try and get as much value for
>> every dollar as possible. I have noticed people posting really good
>> computer deals in the past. Would anyone be aware of a current deal
>> involving ASUS EEE? Which model offer the best value for the money? I
>> am leaning toward the solid state disk to avoid my current pains in
>> the future.
>
> Solid state disks can fail too.  They do eventually wear out.  They
> don't mind vibrations and such though, which might help.

Currently, I just use Centos 5. No duo booting.  If I end up picking
one of these ASUS, it will be Eee PC 1000 - Madi´s suggestion, with
SSD. I would also like to run Debian, need to dip my figures there
after a long good relationship with Red Hat stuff. Now do Debian have
a file system that is friendly to that technology ?

Regards,

William