Chosing cheap desktop: recommendation?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 14 03:35:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 8:43 PM, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo
<arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Madison Kelly wrote:
>>
>> If you are interested in a little extra work for a machine that would be
>> very low power,
>
> Well, in this case I actually just looking for a machine which is "easy
> going", in the sense of easy to get, easy to install, easy to the pocket.
> :-)
>
>> I'd recommend something based on the new Intel Atom CPU. It's what is in
>> my laptop (ASUS Eee PC1000h) and I use it as my daily driver.
>
> Thanks. I actually did think about getting such NetBook, but actually
> worries me that such new machines will have issue in installing standard
> distribution linux. Plus those laptop has no CD drive, while I am yet to
> master creating bootable memory key (I don't even have any USB key! Although
> I do have some SD card and USD SD card readed, which can function as USB
> key).

I'm running *bog standard* Ubuntu on my Acer AspireOne netbook.

I used an external CD drive to install it...
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."  -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling