Chosing cheap desktop: recommendation?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 14 15:57:07 UTC 2008

| From: S P Arif Sahari Wibowo <arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

|  Plus those laptop has no CD drive, while I am yet to master creating
| bootable memory key (I don't even have any USB key! Although I do have some SD
| card and USD SD card readed, which can function as USB key).

The latest Ubuntu (8.10) includes a tool for making a bootable USB flash
memory from any bootable CD or DVD.

Just for fun, I made a bootable microSD from the Ubuntu installation
CD.  I've used it to install Ubuntu on another machine, so it seems to
work.

The tool offers to create a second filesystem on the device to
persistently store data from any live system on the device.  I think
that the release notes say that this part isn't working properly.

I had been too lazy to figure out how to make bootable UBS filesystems
until this fell into my lap(top).

Since you don't seem to have a running Linux machine, this probably
doesn't really address your problem.  Perhaps this tool can work from
the live Ubuntu CD, if only for making a bootable USB version of
itself.  Tricky:  the CD would have to be in the optical drive to
serve two purposes at the same time: home of the currently running
system and master for copying to the USB memory.

Thinking like a player of Towers of Hanoi, I guess that you could
create a bootable USB memory of Ubuntu and use that to make a bootable
USB memory of another CD.  This would require two USB memories: one
for Ubuntu and one for the other CD.