Chosing cheap desktop: recommendation?

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 14 01:43:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Madison Kelly wrote:
> If you are interested in a little extra work for a machine
> that would be very low power,

Well, in this case I actually just looking for a machine which
is "easy going", in the sense of easy to get, easy to install,
easy to the pocket. :-)

> I'd recommend something based on the new Intel Atom CPU. It's
> what is in my laptop (ASUS Eee PC1000h) and I use it as my
> daily driver.

Thanks. I actually did think about getting such NetBook, but
actually worries me that such new machines will have issue in
installing standard distribution linux. Plus those laptop has no
CD drive, while I am yet to master creating bootable memory key
(I don't even have any USB key! Although I do have some SD card
and USD SD card readed, which can function as USB key).

> The only thing I would warn is that, being a new chipset, the
> onboard NIC can require a little finagling to get going.

Yeah, that's my worst worry.

Thanks!

--
                              (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo