Looking for Linux related job in GTA

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 22:38:00 UTC 2008

Christopher Browne wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Robert Brockway
> <robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Colin McGregor wrote:
>>

>>> I have started putting together a list of Linux / IT centeric job hunt
>>> resources on the GTALug website:
>>>
>>>  http://tlug.ss.org/wiki/Job_Hunting
>>>
>> I know some people don't like working with recruiters but I've had very
>> positive results.  I work in senior sysadmin positions and I find the
>> recruiters get that and send me for the right jobs.  I suppose not every
>> recruiter is so good but I've had good success.
>>

> I have seen the other side of that, so there's definitely some variation :-(
>
> - During the 2001 slowdown, I was "slaving over hot recruiters," and
> got a LOT of futile calls.  I had "SAP" on my resume, and that caused
> beaucoup silly "offerings."  In plenty of cases, they really didn't
> know what they were asking for.

I've also had lots of experience with low grade recruiters.  In one
instance, I got a call asking about my experience with a certain
software package, that I'd never even heard of.  It turns out, that
package had the same name as a company I had done some work for and the
recruiter had simply done a word search and didn't bother reading what
turned up.