Looking for Linux related job in GTA

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 22:16:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Robert Brockway
<robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Colin McGregor wrote:
>
>> I have started putting together a list of Linux / IT centeric job hunt
>> resources on the GTALug website:
>>
>>  http://tlug.ss.org/wiki/Job_Hunting
>
> I know some people don't like working with recruiters but I've had very
> positive results.  I work in senior sysadmin positions and I find the
> recruiters get that and send me for the right jobs.  I suppose not every
> recruiter is so good but I've had good success.

I have seen the other side of that, so there's definitely some variation :-(

- During the 2001 slowdown, I was "slaving over hot recruiters," and
got a LOT of futile calls.  I had "SAP" on my resume, and that caused
beaucoup silly "offerings."  In plenty of cases, they really didn't
know what they were asking for.

- Entertainingly, for a period of ~3 months, about 50% of the calls I
got related to ONE LOCATION.  I don't know if people are familiar with
Intria-HP; this was a joint venture between HP and CIBC, running data
centres doing "application outsourcing" out near Mississauga Road
(Argentia?)  It appears that they burn out their people *really* fast.
 I interviewed there, and the "bullpen" appeared pretty unbelievable
to me in terms of probable stress levels.  I wasn't disappointed when
they declined to give me an offer.  At any rate, apparently just about
every recruiter in the 416/905 region was chasing everyone that they
imagined could be suitable.

- I've seen quite a lot of pretty ludicrously dubious candidates
proposed by recruiters.  When looking at hiring, we've had to screen
pretty heavily, AFTER what *ought* to have been a good screening
process.

I don't have as high an opinion of recruiters, as a group, as you do ;-).
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."  -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling