KDE + Microphone problems

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri May 30 14:46:44 UTC 2008

Howard Gibson wrote:
>    Almost all of my problems with sound have something to do with me launching KDE.  This is weird since I use FVWM2 most of the time, and occasionally, Gnome.
>
>    Just in case you have not already thought of this, launch one of the sound mixers.  You should be able to find one in the appropriate KDE menu.  Gnome has one, and you can always try alsamixer from the command line.

I have half-way solved the problem, simply by mucking about with all of
the (mostly undocumented) options of Kmix.

It's also necessary to have the Red "LED" widget _on_ for the microphone
-- that's not very intuitive (lighting "red" means "on"?) but I did find
it buried in the documentation.

Why it's only halfway done is because I can connect a mike to the panel
in the front of the PC but I can't get it to work at all with the mike
connection that is directly on the motherboard. Maybe another few days
of playing with Kmix will address that too.

- Evan