KDE + Microphone problems

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Fri May 30 14:31:58 UTC 2008

On Sun, 25 May 2008 11:03:18 -0400
Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> For some reason I'm just having a horrible time trying to make a
> microphone work on a Kubuntu system. While the software is kept current,
> the mike has never worked.
>
> Where I am at right now is that when I enable the mike (it has an off-on
> switch) I can hear it through the computer speakers but I can't use the
> mike output in any applications (ie, skype).
>
> As usual, there are plenty of messages on the topic online -- generally
> unhelpful, and most of the posted questions have simply gone unanswered.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> - Evan

Evan,

   Almost all of my problems with sound have something to do with me launching KDE.  This is weird since I use FVWM2 most of the time, and occasionally, Gnome.

   Just in case you have not already thought of this, launch one of the sound mixers.  You should be able to find one in the appropriate KDE menu.  Gnome has one, and you can always try alsamixer from the command line.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org