specialized Linux hosting question

bob 295 icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org
Wed May 14 23:39:23 UTC 2008

On May 14, 2008 05:58 pm, Rich Lafferty wrote:
> Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
>  > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Peter <plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>  >> I am not a lawyer and so on but I would try to find a friend
>  >> who is in the web development or virtual server business and hire
>  >> him by contract to set up a virtual server somewhere.
> >
> > Why virtual hosting? I would use linode.com for that: for 20$ per
> > month one has entire server under her controll. No, I am not
> > interested in being contracted for this :) Not right now at least ;)
> > zb.
>
> The things Linode has are "virtual servers", as opposed to "dedicated
> servers" where you have a piece of hardware to yourself. You might be
> thinking of "virtual hosting" aka "shared hosting" like Dreamhost.
>
> I second the Linode recommendation, though. Here's what I had to say:
>
>     http://www.lafferty.ca/2008/04/07/on-linode-now/
>
>    -Rich

I'm assuming that I can scp text files to a linode server.    I need to be
able to push source code to that server.     For my scheme to work I have to
be able to completely restrict access to that code, however.

Once I have source code on the server I need to be able to run the gcc
compiler there.   I need to be able to run the resulting executables and open
access to non standard ports like port 8000.

Are these all things that can be done on a linode virtual server?

Thanks.

bob