Ubuntu 8.04 - all drives now SCSI

Moniz Family john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat May 10 23:12:31 UTC 2008

I am putting together a older PC for my dear mother-in-law to replace
her even older one, and just installed Ubuntu 8.04. Now all of the
drives boot up as SCSI. The hard drive (hda) is SDA, the DVD (hdc) is
now scd0. All sorts of problems have resulted from that little conversion.

I first installed Ubuntu 7.10 from the live CD. From the live CD, I did
the partitioning with gparted (or is it qtparted?) and all was normal.
Then I installed 7.10 from the CD and all drives were normal. During the
updates, I noticed that 8.04LTS was available as an update, so I did it.
Then I performed added some repositories, including medibuntu, and did
whatever updates were noted. During some troubleshooting of DVD
playback, I noticed that the drives were no longer IDE.

If I boot with the Ubuntu 7.10 live disk, the drives are IDE. Also, grub
lists three kernels to boot from. The oldest (2.6.22-14 generic) still
boots with IDE drives. The two newest kernels on the gub list (2.6.24-16
& 2.6.24-17 generic) both boot with SCSI drives.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I'd like to fix it as I've
invested too much time to this stage of the install, but if I can't fix
it, the next step will involve either Mandriva or FC.

Thanks for any tips.

John.