Tuesday May 13 and Tuesday May 14

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat May 10 16:23:04 UTC 2008

| From: Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Well seeing the first part of the release party is an option, but...
| it would have been nice if they set a date that more of the GTALug
| could have attended the entire event...

I guess that the date was driven by when Fedora 9 is scheduled to be
released.  Having a release party earlier would be pointless and later
would be a bit stale.

| Well, I used to be a big Red Hat fan, but at the Red Hat --> Fedora
| change I moved to Debian for most stuff... Still, I wish them well,
| hope the event goes well for them.

I use Fedora, CentOS, and Ubuntu.  Each has their strengths and
weaknesses.

The most recent Ubuntu is an LTS release.  I find that attractive: I
don't have to commit to stability, but I am promised it.  It would be
even better if every Ubuntu release was LTS.  This was the case for
RHL until something like RHL8, if I remember correctly.

My impression is that Fedora pioneers a bunch of things.  This is a
great service to the whole community.  Sometimes this creates
problems.

I also approve of Fedora's purity with respect to pattents etc.  This
makes using it less convenient.

| I will note the release party on the GTALug Wiki...

Thanks.  I think that this is useful.