P.H.P. and Python

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 3 14:32:06 UTC 2008

Yes, thanks for the correction. I actually meant to mention Dojo in
there with AJAX. As far as web-development goes, things have come a
long way from onMouseOver and onClick statements, especially when it
comes to using tools like Dojo or JQuery.

As per the difference between a "framework" and a "library", isn't a
framework a collection of libraries?

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Ian Petersen <ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>  >  Nowadays we have stuff like AJAX (now *that* is a framework),
>
>  Perhaps I'm straying OT here, but I'd disagree--AJAX is a buzzword (or
>  a cleaning product) but that's it.  If you want to be generous, AJAX
>  might be a technique--a trick you can lean on to get a job done.
>  There are frameworks that make it easier to "do" AJAX by hiding
>  browser incompatibilities and the "messiness" of Javascript, but they
>  have names like Dojo, GWT, Atlas, and Scriptaculous, although I'm not
>  sure what the difference is between a well developed library and a
>  framework.  Perhaps GWT is a framework because it includes libraries
>  and tools (it includes a Java-to-Javascript compiler), whereas
>  Scriptaculous is pretty much just a library, I think.
>
>  Ian
>
>  --
>  Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
>  Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com
>

> --
>  The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>  TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2
(647) 302-0942