P.H.P. and Python

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 2 13:43:58 UTC 2008

Partly ego, partly history would be my guess. Interpreted languages
(that's what I'll call 'em) have come a long way in the last several
years. I wouldn't have considered somebody who writes little bits of
Javascript code a programmer, and back in the day many of the
so-called PHP programmers wrote little mailer scripts and shopping
cart plugins for baseline e-commerce sites.

Nowadays we have stuff like AJAX (now *that* is a framework), and we
have "web applications" which essentially do as much as all the old
compiled stuff, and more. You really can't downplay the amount of
skill/effort required to build some of those too... a full-blown
online app that works consistently across browsers is quite an
impressive feat.

I wouldn't say that one is better than another, but there are
certainly lots of people who'd like to think so. I've heard plenty of
"he's not a *real* programmer" comments in regards to the
web-developers, but then again I still shudder when I heard somebody
talk about being an "HTML+JavaScript programmer" :-)

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 02:33:11PM -0400, jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org wrote:
>
> > What are the differences between programming languages, scripting
> > languages, and frameworks ?
> >

>  Ego?
>
>  --
>  Neil Watson
>  System Administrator for hire http://watson-wilson.ca
>

>  --
>  The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>  TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2
(647) 302-0942