Problems Upgrading Ubuntu from 7.10 to 8.04 LTS

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 1 11:17:59 UTC 2008

So I first updated all packages in 7.10. This is something I have done
many times, and they were always uneventful.

I have found the Update Manager to be a pretty brainless tool to use.

The upgrade to 8.04 LTS did not go as well.

Now, I did get a lack of disk space error, and had to restart after
moving some files.
I run both the server and desktop on the same machine.

I got maybe 50 errors during the install. I think they were all cases of
a dependency was missing.

Update Manager does not launch.

Apache works fine, but I did get errors related to PHP so I expect
something is not right and there are problems waiting for me.

I am considering just doing a new install. Ant thoughts on this?

Is there a checklist of config files I should save first?

I am thinking:

Samba
Apache (virtual hosts)
PHP
MySQL

I am pretty sure that I am overlooking something.

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Stephen