Problems Upgrading Ubuntu from 7.10 to 8.04 LTS

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu May 1 12:44:24 UTC 2008

Stephen wrote:
> So I first updated all packages in 7.10. This is something I have done
> many times, and they were always uneventful.
>
> I have found the Update Manager to be a pretty brainless tool to use.
>
> The upgrade to 8.04 LTS did not go as well.
>
> Now, I did get a lack of disk space error, and had to restart after
> moving some files.
> I run both the server and desktop on the same machine.
>
> I got maybe 50 errors during the install. I think they were all cases of
> a dependency was missing.
>
> Update Manager does not launch.
>
> Apache works fine, but I did get errors related to PHP so I expect
> something is not right and there are problems waiting for me.
>
> I am considering just doing a new install. Ant thoughts on this?
>
> Is there a checklist of config files I should save first?
>
> I am thinking:
>
> Samba
> Apache (virtual hosts)
> PHP
> MySQL
>
> I am pretty sure that I am overlooking something.
>
> All thoughts appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Stephen

I did the same update yesterday with minimal hassle. Some package called
'chillispot' froze and I had to ctrl+c it, then remove it manually at
the end of the update, but otherwise everything has worked.

If you're running Apache, I'd suggest tar'ing up '/etc' (configs) and
'/var' (websites). Also, have you tried running 'apt-get -f update' (I
may be slightly off on that command - the one that checks for broken
packages and dependencies).

Also, I found the 'http://ca...' servers to not be working well. If you
are using those (check /etc/apt/source.list), change the 'ca.' to 'us.'
and try again.

Madi