Of Linus, KDE, and mouse buttons

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 31 14:01:46 UTC 2008

Christopher Browne wrote:
> The thing that really bugs me about KDE is the fact that its
> applications take over menus at the edge of the screen.
Hmm. I'm aware of that _option_ within KDE. Not only is it able to be
turned off, AFAIK it's not even turned on by default.
It's an attempt to mimic Mac-like bahavior for those who like that kind
of thing. But certainly it's not commonly used.

> I don't expect everyone to agree with my evaluation of this design
> aspect, but those with open minds should realize that this is the sort
> of thing that will lead to personal preference...

Interestingly, this goes back to the whole debate that Torvalds entered;
over how much flexibility there should be in adjusting assumptions on
user preferences that don't match the default intentions of the software
designers. Torvalds was making the point that while both GNOME and KDE
make their assumptions, that KDE gives more power to people who have
_some_ skill and want to adjust some things without needing to burrow
into gconf.

- Evan