Of Linus, KDE, and mouse buttons

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 31 13:31:38 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Gary Walsh <gwalsh-BSvtlmuW8nk at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I am amused by this thread.  Though I think that several KDE
>  applications are excellent, Amarok for instance,  everytime I switch to
>  KDE from Gnome, I just find it annoying.  I just prefer the way things
>  are done in Gnome.  Gnome looks better and I think that the Nautilus
>  file manager is so much superior to KDE's Konqueror, and reminds me of
>  OS/2's file manager, which I always liked.  I don't understand why
>  people prefer KDE over Gnome, but to each his own.  I am reserving my
>  opinion on KDE 4, which is a radical change from KDE 3 and may prove
>  more attractive to me in time.

Hear, hear!

The thing that really bugs me about KDE is the fact that its
applications take over menus at the edge of the screen.  I prefer that
the apps that I run stay within their own boundaries, and Gnome does
indeed take that approach.

I doubt that KDE 4 changes that design aspect, and so doubt that it
will be more attractive to me.

I don't expect everyone to agree with my evaluation of this design
aspect, but those with open minds should realize that this is the sort
of thing that will lead to personal preference...
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results." -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling