Of Linus, KDE, and mouse buttons

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 31 20:01:48 UTC 2008

Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Gary Walsh wrote:
>> I am amused by this thread.  Though I think that several KDE
>> applications are excellent, Amarok for instance,  everytime I switch to
>> KDE from Gnome, I just find it annoying.  I just prefer the way things
>> are done in Gnome.  Gnome looks better and I think that the Nautilus
>> file manager is so much superior to KDE's Konqueror, and reminds me of
>> OS/2's file manager, which I always liked.

Funny, I have never liked Nautilus and I find GNOME ugly and KDE
beautiful. Goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Vive
la différence!

>> I don't understand why
>> people prefer KDE over Gnome, but to each his own.  I am reserving my
>> opinion on KDE 4, which is a radical change from KDE 3 and may prove
>> more attractive to me in time.
>>

> The KDE developers have known for a while that the Konqueror model if
> browser+file manager+the kitchen sink isn't the way to go. Dolphin looks
> reasonable as a replacement built specifically to manage files.

I like the Konqueror model and don't see the point of Dolphin. I have
used Dolphin on KDE4 and it seems like a stripped-down Konqueror with
all the useful bits removed. It seems to have inherited all the worst
traits of Windows Explorer with none of its good traits.

> I've been using Krusader with its two column view for manging files at
> home, it is absolutely splendid. e.g. split view gui, and no mouse
> required--and it works with regular KDE protocol integration like fish,
> sftp, etc.

You can have a split view, horizontal or vertical, with Konqueror too. I
often use it this way.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay