shakedown by chinese domain registrars ??

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 25 16:29:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Dave Mason <dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have a completely different take on this.
>
>  I see this as a very conscientious domain registrar aware of possible
>  scams and wanting to avoid getting their clients in trouble.  The
>  Chinese government maight also be sensitive on this point (heaven only
>  knows they aren't on much else these days other than the Olympics) and
>  encouraging their registrars to do some due diligence.

I think you have *way* too over-trusting a perspective on this.

>  I would write back to them, thank them for their concern, and express
>  considerable antipathy to the idea of others registering
>  visibleassets.??.  If they write back saying they have no choice other
>  than to offer you the right of first refusal for the visibleassets.cn
>  domain then I might be more suspicious, depending on how much they
>  wanted you to pay (<$10 might be reasonable, much more I'd agree they
>  were trying to shake you down).

I'm suspicious of a "shakedown" right now...

I have seen similar warnings, and all indications have been that it's
a money grab...
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results." -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling