shakedown by chinese domain registrars ??

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 25 16:35:53 UTC 2008

Dave Mason wrote:
> I have a completely different take on this.
>
> I see this as a very conscientious domain registrar aware of possible
> scams and wanting to avoid getting their clients in trouble....
>
> I would write back to them, thank them for their concern, and express
> considerable antipathy to the idea of others registering
> visibleassets.??.  If they write back saying they have no choice other
> than to offer you the right of first refusal for the visibleassets.cn
> domain then I might be more suspicious, depending on how much they
> wanted you to pay (<$10 might be reasonable, much more I'd agree they
> were trying to shake you down).

Does not just about every country have their own high level domain
suffix. Let's just say that there are 120.

Even at $10 a pop, that adds up.

I can register *.ca even if *.com is taken. So what?

This seems like a money making scheme, albeit a benign one.

Some Makham company used to send me renewal notices for my domains. I
had never heard from them, and thy wanted $45 a pop.

Stephen