shakedown by chinese domain registrars ??

Dave Mason dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 25 15:36:23 UTC 2008

I have a completely different take on this.

I see this as a very conscientious domain registrar aware of possible
scams and wanting to avoid getting their clients in trouble.  The
Chinese government maight also be sensitive on this point (heaven only
knows they aren't on much else these days other than the Olympics) and
encouraging their registrars to do some due diligence.

I would write back to them, thank them for their concern, and express
considerable antipathy to the idea of others registering
visibleassets.??.  If they write back saying they have no choice other
than to offer you the right of first refusal for the visibleassets.cn
domain then I might be more suspicious, depending on how much they
wanted you to pay (<$10 might be reasonable, much more I'd agree they
were trying to shake you down).

../Dave