Yet Another iPod Question

Moniz Family john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 4 01:25:33 UTC 2008

JoeHill wrote:
> John Moniz wrote:
>

>> Jason Shein wrote:
>>
>>> As per the documentation, at least one song needs to be transferred to the
>>> iPod prior to using Floola.
>>>
>>> I personally prefer gtkpod, but it only works for certain colours and size
>>> combinations of the iPod nano. Of the 8gb models, only the silver version
>>> is supported due to device IDs.
>>>
>>> If you attempt to attach gtkpd to an unsupported nano, it trashes the
>>> database, and requires a repair using iTunes. ( as I found out )
>>>

>>> Floola works great for videos, mp3. and cover art on my daughters ( green
>>> 8GB nano )
>>>
>> Thanks Jason. I went looking for places where I could get an 8gb silver
>> iPod and found a few. Unfortunately, I got stuck out of town and had my
>> wife and daughter go out to get one. The nice man at the store convinced
>> them that there was no difference, so they came back with a black 3rd
>> gen nano.
>>
>> First I set up the iPod with iTunes to make sure it was working OK.
>> After a few songs were installed, I plugged it in to a linux PC. I could
>> tell that the device was recognized from dmesg, but it would not mount
>> itself to /media/ipod, which is where my son's iPod classic video mounts
>> to on my machine. I tried creating the needed directory, setting the
>> permissions and mounting it manually, but the permissions reset
>> themselves to root and none of the players can use it. Amarock gives an
>> error that it cannot write the lock file to the device because of denied
>> permission. gtkpod was hopeless.
>>

> Use whatever mount point your system creates for it, if there is one. It does
> not have to use /media/ipod. Mine, for example, is /mnt/BORG. This can then be
> set in the preferences of whatever you decide to use, ie. Amarok or GTKPod.
>
> From what I've seen from the people at libgpod/gtkpod, any ipod or nano there is
> should work just fine with libgpod 0.6.0, including the ipod touch and iphone.
> libgpod is the basis for either Amarok or gtkpod to work, and as I say, it
> should not matter what mount point your system assigns to the device. If your
> system is not assigning any mount point, the problem is more than the colour of
> the nano or the app you're using.

The problem I had (FC4 and Ubuntu 6.06) was that the ipod was not
creating a mount point at all. However, it seems to be fixed in newer
versions. It was OK with my daughter's Ubunty 7.10. When I manually
created a mount point, the permissions would default to root (after
mounting), it wouldn't let me change it, and as a result the ipod was
not accessible by any player.