Yet Another iPod Question

Moniz Family john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 4 01:42:05 UTC 2008

Jason Shein wrote:
> On Friday 29 February 2008 04:36:11 pm John Moniz wrote:
>
>> Thanks Jason. I went looking for places where I could get an 8gb silver
>> iPod and found a few. Unfortunately, I got stuck out of town and had my
>> wife and daughter go out to get one. The nice man at the store convinced
>> them that there was no difference, so they came back with a black 3rd
>> gen nano.
>>
>> First I set up the iPod with iTunes to make sure it was working OK.
>> After a few songs were installed, I plugged it in to a linux PC. I could
>> tell that the device was recognized from dmesg, but it would not mount
>> itself to /media/ipod, which is where my son's iPod classic video mounts
>> to on my machine. I tried creating the needed directory, setting the
>> permissions and mounting it manually, but the permissions reset
>> themselves to root and none of the players can use it. Amarock gives an
>> error that it cannot write the lock file to the device because of denied
>> permission. gtkpod was hopeless.
>>
>> I installed floola, but it crashes with exception errors every time I
>> try to do anything at all with it.
>>
>> This is my daughter's iPod and she has a newer ubuntu just recently
>> installed. I'll try there all over again, but it won't be until tomorrow
>> when I take her back to school. There are some posts on the ubuntu forum
>> that claim the nano 3G problem has been resolved, I just hope it
>> includes the mounting problem I'm having.
>>
>> It would be nice to know if anyone's iPod nano (3rd gen) mounts itself
>> properly upon plugging in.
>>

> Another option, that I have used in the past is Yamipod
> http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/
>
> I had limited success with this, but it seems that results are varying for
> each solution depending on the Linux distro in use, and the iPod generation
> and color.
>
> Let me know how you make out.

It was success and heartache one right after the other.

Everything worked perfectly as soon as I plugged it in my daughter's
Ubuntu 7.10. It self-mounted and was recognized by Amarok and gtkpod
after I set them up. My daughter spent the rest of the evening loading
songs with Amarok, the one she favours. Then Amarok crashed,
disappearing from the screen altogether.

All of the songs diasappeared from the ipod. However, they were all
visible and playable with Amarok and gtkpod. If I added or removed a
song with one player, the change would show up on the other. But nothing
in the ipod. The usage reading in the ipod was showing "Other" as being
used, but not "Audio". I deleted all of the songs and the usage of
"other" went way down. The songs were there, but not registered as an
Audio file.

I figure the itunes database must have gotten corrupted. She's off to a
friend's to reinstall itunes and start all over again. She's at UWO, so
I can't really help her. I was thinking of backing up the entire ipod
onto her PC next time I'm there. I mean all of the files, not just the
songs. Maybe any corrupted files could be brought back with a back-up???

It's a bit disappointing for her and I know she'll worry every time she
uses either Amarok or gtkpod from now on.

Thanks for all of your help.

By the way, I couldn't install floola because it would not accept the
fwid. I am certain I had the right one as I found the same number two
different ways (a 16 digit #). Maybe it was because I tried installing
floola after all of the songs had been deleted from the ipod and you
said I had to install at least one song with itunes. I'll try it again
when the ipod is working again.

John.