Yet Another iPod Question

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 2 19:54:31 UTC 2008

John Moniz wrote:

> Jason Shein wrote:
> > As per the documentation, at least one song needs to be transferred to the
> > iPod prior to using Floola.
> >
> > I personally prefer gtkpod, but it only works for certain colours and size
> > combinations of the iPod nano. Of the 8gb models, only the silver version
> > is supported due to device IDs.
> >
> > If you attempt to attach gtkpd to an unsupported nano, it trashes the
> > database, and requires a repair using iTunes. ( as I found out )
> >

> > Floola works great for videos, mp3. and cover art on my daughters ( green
> > 8GB nano )
> Thanks Jason. I went looking for places where I could get an 8gb silver
> iPod and found a few. Unfortunately, I got stuck out of town and had my
> wife and daughter go out to get one. The nice man at the store convinced
> them that there was no difference, so they came back with a black 3rd
> gen nano.
>
> First I set up the iPod with iTunes to make sure it was working OK.
> After a few songs were installed, I plugged it in to a linux PC. I could
> tell that the device was recognized from dmesg, but it would not mount
> itself to /media/ipod, which is where my son's iPod classic video mounts
> to on my machine. I tried creating the needed directory, setting the
> permissions and mounting it manually, but the permissions reset
> themselves to root and none of the players can use it. Amarock gives an
> error that it cannot write the lock file to the device because of denied
> permission. gtkpod was hopeless.

Use whatever mount point your system creates for it, if there is one. It does
not have to use /media/ipod. Mine, for example, is /mnt/BORG. This can then be
set in the preferences of whatever you decide to use, ie. Amarok or GTKPod.

From what I've seen from the people at libgpod/gtkpod, any ipod or nano there is
should work just fine with libgpod 0.6.0, including the ipod touch and iphone.
libgpod is the basis for either Amarok or gtkpod to work, and as I say, it
should not matter what mount point your system assigns to the device. If your
system is not assigning any mount point, the problem is more than the colour of
the nano or the app you're using.

> I installed floola, but it crashes with exception errors every time I
> try to do anything at all with it.
>
> This is my daughter's iPod and she has a newer ubuntu just recently
> installed. I'll try there all over again, but it won't be until tomorrow
> when I take her back to school. There are some posts on the ubuntu forum
> that claim the nano 3G problem has been resolved, I just hope it
> includes the mounting problem I'm having.

Again, as far as I know, all problems with ipods/nanos have been resolved.
Only outstanding issues are with Touch and iPhone.

--
JoeHill