Yet Another iPod Question

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 2 16:42:57 UTC 2008

On Friday 29 February 2008 04:36:11 pm John Moniz wrote:
> Thanks Jason. I went looking for places where I could get an 8gb silver
> iPod and found a few. Unfortunately, I got stuck out of town and had my
> wife and daughter go out to get one. The nice man at the store convinced
> them that there was no difference, so they came back with a black 3rd
> gen nano.
>
> First I set up the iPod with iTunes to make sure it was working OK.
> After a few songs were installed, I plugged it in to a linux PC. I could
> tell that the device was recognized from dmesg, but it would not mount
> itself to /media/ipod, which is where my son's iPod classic video mounts
> to on my machine. I tried creating the needed directory, setting the
> permissions and mounting it manually, but the permissions reset
> themselves to root and none of the players can use it. Amarock gives an
> error that it cannot write the lock file to the device because of denied
> permission. gtkpod was hopeless.
>
> I installed floola, but it crashes with exception errors every time I
> try to do anything at all with it.
>
> This is my daughter's iPod and she has a newer ubuntu just recently
> installed. I'll try there all over again, but it won't be until tomorrow
> when I take her back to school. There are some posts on the ubuntu forum
> that claim the nano 3G problem has been resolved, I just hope it
> includes the mounting problem I'm having.
>
> It would be nice to know if anyone's iPod nano (3rd gen) mounts itself
> properly upon plugging in.

Another option, that I have used in the past is Yamipod
http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/

I had limited success with this, but it seems that results are varying for
each solution depending on the Linux distro in use, and the iPod generation
and color.

Let me know how you make out.

--
Jason Shein