Disk full -- any suggestions on what to move to SD card?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 17 13:26:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 01:04:14PM -0400, Alex Maynard wrote:
> Jamon, Thanks for the good suggestion. Any particularly large software
> packages that I could safely remove.  I mainly use just emacs, latex,
> open-office, firefox, acroread.  I'm removing gimp, xsane, evolution.
> Are there any other large applications that I could remove to pair down on
> space?

Well removing open-office would probably free 500MB or so. :)

vim if it is installed might be another 20 to 30MB.

Basicaly open-office, emacs and latex are probably among the largest
most bloated things you can have installed, so if you really think those
are all useful there probably isn't much hope fitting it on that small a
disk.

Try this though:
for pkg in `dpkg -l|grep ^ii|awk '{print $2}'`; do echo -n "$pkg "; apt-cache show $pkg|grep 'Installed-Size:'|head -n 1|awk '{print $2'}; done | sed -e 's/\(.*\) \(.*\)/\2 \1/'|sort -n

That will list all the installed packages (those matching ^ii in dpkg
-l) and print the installed size of each one (in 512byte blocks) sorted
so largest goes last.

For example when I run it on one machine here I get this at the end:
58604 cm-super
63240 gcc-4.1-powerpc
63512 acroread
66044 linux-image-2.6.18-5-amd64
66048 linux-image-2.6.18-6-amd64
66692 mysql-server-5.0
87312 sun-j2re1.5
99844 openoffice.org-core
100952 texlive-latex-extra
138596 texlive-fonts-extra
282216 classpath-doc

I guess classpath-doc really ought to go given I have no idea why I
would need that.  The texlive extras might be redundant too.

--
Len Sorensen