Disk full -- any suggestions on what to move to SD card?

Alex Maynard maynarda-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 17 14:43:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 01:04:14PM -0400, Alex Maynard wrote:
>> Jamon, Thanks for the good suggestion. Any particularly large software
>> packages that I could safely remove.  I mainly use just emacs, latex,
>> open-office, firefox, acroread.  I'm removing gimp, xsane, evolution.
>> Are there any other large applications that I could remove to pair down on
>> space?
>
> Well removing open-office would probably free 500MB or so. :)
>
> vim if it is installed might be another 20 to 30MB.
>
> Basicaly open-office, emacs and latex are probably among the largest
> most bloated things you can have installed, so if you really think those
> are all useful there probably isn't much hope fitting it on that small a
> disk.

I only use open-office to open spread sheets and word docs. Can I remove
its other functions like database, but keep these or is it all or nothing?

> Try this though:
> for pkg in `dpkg -l|grep ^ii|awk '{print $2}'`; do echo -n "$pkg "; apt-cache show $pkg|grep 'Installed-Size:'|head -n 1|awk '{print $2'}; done | sed -e 's/\(.*\) \(.*\)/\2 \1/'|sort -n

Thank you so much. What a useful command. Definitely one to
write down. No way I'm going to be able to remember this.

I purchased in a hurry before a trip and should have done more research
first. Apparently they already have versions of the Asus EE with larger
hard-drives.

Alex