Linux-friendly laptops

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 31 17:51:21 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:43:01AM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>> I've used Thinkpads for ten years and change now (first was a 486!) and
>> every one of them ran Linux with minimal fuss. My current one is a T40,
>> and one of my main client's is a T43p which also worked with minimal fuss.
>>
>> I was worried about Lenovo taking them over and I expected to see a
>> drastic drop in quality to meet price demands, but so far it's not
>> seemed so bad. So ya, vote #2 for a Thinkpad. They're worth the extra money.
>
> The only thinkpad that ever gave trouble for linux with me, was one with
> an ATI video chip.  That think was imposible to get to work right.

My ThinkPad A21p ran Linux fine for years. The ATI Rage 128 supported
with no fuss whatsoever. I was running Linux on a ThinkPad T30 until a
few days ago (sold the machine) and everything but restoration of sound
after waking up from hibernation worked. I might have gotten that to
work as well, if I cared enough. I swear by ThinkPads. They're reliable.
Great keyboards. The shift to Lenovo is a non-event because they were
always made by Lenovo even when they had the IBM logo on them.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis