Looking for dialup hardware solution

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 16 14:13:37 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 03:09:31PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>
>> The USB-Serial adaptors look to be the cheapest answer, but the
>> clumsiest (you'll need the adaptor as well as a DB9-DB25 cable to use
>> with your modem). A USB modem will be more expensive, but more compact,
>> more portable and more energy efficient (as most of these modems can
>> draw power from the USB, compared to your sportster which needs its own
>> brick).
>>

> Many USB modems don't work with linux of course,
Based on what do you say that? The ones that I'm aware of -- by
USRobotics, Multitech and Zoom -- have explicit Linux support. Generally
speaking, USB modems are _less_ likely to be winmodems than internal
cards or motherboard built-ins; indeed any modems that meet the USB
Communication Device Class Abstract Control Model (CDC ACM) standard
will work using the Linux "acm" driver.

Some off-brand USB modems are not CDC-ACM compliant and as such won't
work with Linux (many of them won't work with Vista either); but this is
a far cry from writing off the category. Compliant modems are certainly
easy enough to find.

- Evan