Looking for dialup hardware solution

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 16 16:37:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:13:37AM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Based on what do you say that? The ones that I'm aware of -- by
> USRobotics, Multitech and Zoom -- have explicit Linux support. Generally
> speaking, USB modems are _less_ likely to be winmodems than internal
> cards or motherboard built-ins; indeed any modems that meet the USB
> Communication Device Class Abstract Control Model (CDC ACM) standard
> will work using the Linux "acm" driver.

Every usb modem I have dealt with (which fortunately isn't many) has in
fact been a winmodem.  None of them were recognized and certainlt did
not work with the acm driver.  At least one was a us robotics modem.

> Some off-brand USB modems are not CDC-ACM compliant and as such won't
> work with Linux (many of them won't work with Vista either); but this is
> a far cry from writing off the category. Compliant modems are certainly
> easy enough to find.

Based on the ones I had encountered, none of which were unknown brands,
USB modems should be assumed to be winmodems.  I see at least one model
from USR lists linux support explicitly for the USB one, so I guess that
one would be a decent choice.

--
Len Sorensen