Looking for dialup hardware solution

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 16 13:51:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 03:09:31PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> The USB-Serial adaptors look to be the cheapest answer, but the
> clumsiest (you'll need the adaptor as well as a DB9-DB25 cable to use
> with your modem). A USB modem will be more expensive, but more compact,
> more portable and more energy efficient (as most of these modems can
> draw power from the USB, compared to your sportster which needs its own
> brick).

Many USB modems don't work with linux of course, being only glorified
usb audio devices that expect the CPU to do all the DSP work.

> As I mentioned, PCI-Express is quickly obsoleting both conventional PCI
> (no compatibility) and AGP. Many vendors are trying to standardize on
> USB for external, PCIe for internal. Many new systems and motherboards
> come with at least one or two PCIe slots for RAID, enhanced audio and
> video. Many other (and most slower) devices are going the USB route
> which is why it is not uncommon to find four or more ports on modern
> desktops (in addition to ports for modern mice and keyboards which are
> already USB). Heck, even the EeePC has room for three, and it already
> has its own KB and mouse....

There is also external PCI express now, which does have some uses, but
may not be a desktop thing for a while.

Modern PCs tend to have 10 or more USB ports (my newest machine at home
has 12 USB ports and 2 firewire ports).

--
Len Sorensen