Teaching Children Programming and Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 16 14:01:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 08:12:16AM -0400, Kamran wrote:
> I would be interested to hear experiences and recommendations that any
> of you have teaching young children how to program and how to use Linux.
>  My niece asked me the other day "Are you going to teach me all about
> computers?"

You could teach them LOGO, Pascal, and python.  Python makes it easy to
do nifty graphics and sound stuff too without having to get into boring
details.  The python pygame library in particular is great fun to play
with.

Avoid crap like BASIC, it teaches very little that is useful and a lot
that is anti useful.

Perl would be a good way to make them never want to go near programming
again, and C and assembler take way to much time to accomplish anything
interesting so you would probably loose their attension span long before
anything happened.

--
Len Sorensen