Teaching Children Programming and Linux

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 16 14:21:11 UTC 2008

On 16-Jul-08, at 10:01 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 08:12:16AM -0400, Kamran wrote:
>> I would be interested to hear experiences and recommendations that
>> any
>> of you have teaching young children how to program and how to use
>> Linux.
>> My niece asked me the other day "Are you going to teach me all about
>> computers?"
>
> You could teach them LOGO, Pascal, and python.  Python makes it easy
> do nifty graphics and sound stuff too without having to get into
> boring
> details.  The python pygame library in particular is great fun to play
> with.

I guess the corollary question would be: what age could/should one get
a kid involved in programming? I like the idea of starting a kid on
Python or Javascript, but when?

And it would be awesome if there were some specific learning resources
that could take them through a course of study.

Cheers,
Aaron.