Bell Sympatico offered me fast service

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 3 22:17:30 UTC 2008

I got a form letter from Bell that starts:

	Great news.  Our new, next generation fibre optic Internet
	service is now availaible in your neighbourhood.

Since ADSL in my house has been crappy and slow, I just phoned them to
figure out what they meant by this.

First they told me that they have fibre optic.  I asked where?  To my
demarc, they said.  Clearly this isn't true because they haven't been in
my basement.

I played 20 questions with Nasar on the phone, ignoring obvious
mis-statements.

- maybe there is fibre to a location closer than the Central Office
  was (the CO was about 5km, if I remember correctly, explaining
  my crappy service)

- he told me that I could have 16000kb service (down, of course; 1mb
  up).  That is perhaps 10x what I have now (from another ADSL
  provider).  He agreed that it was 10 times what I would have had in
  the past.

- he said that distance to the new CO-or-whatever was a secret and
  would not tell me

- I asked about the modem (wondering if they have some new
  technology).  He said yes, but was really only talking about
  features like being a router and switch on top of being a modem.
  When pressed, he said it was same old ADSL.  2wire brand.

Does anyone know what this is about?  Have Bell likely installed a
"remote" to cut the length of the copper run?  Or something else?  Or,
nothing (just an ad)?

Oh, and what is "next generation" about this?