Bell Sympatico offered me fast service

Dave Germiquet davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 3 23:03:03 UTC 2008

Hi Hugh,

I have heard of this as well, however I have not gone into extensive
questions. I live in an apartment  building and I got 2 dsl
connections coming in.

When I applied to my new provider, bell called me up and said "the
line you have is different this one is a Fibre Optic line", I asked
them ok install it on the condition they could keep both lines.. (i
had customer service issues there :()

I called my original provider they said there are problems with some
providers and the new "DSL" line. The new DSL line is actually called
something different.

I googled a bit found a few links, here's one of them:

http://en.kioskea.net/technologies/adsl.php3

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 6:17 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I got a form letter from Bell that starts:
>
>        Great news.  Our new, next generation fibre optic Internet
>        service is now availaible in your neighbourhood.
>
> Since ADSL in my house has been crappy and slow, I just phoned them to
> figure out what they meant by this.
>
> First they told me that they have fibre optic.  I asked where?  To my
> demarc, they said.  Clearly this isn't true because they haven't been in
> my basement.
>
> I played 20 questions with Nasar on the phone, ignoring obvious
> mis-statements.
>
> - maybe there is fibre to a location closer than the Central Office
>  was (the CO was about 5km, if I remember correctly, explaining
>  my crappy service)
>
> - he told me that I could have 16000kb service (down, of course; 1mb
>  up).  That is perhaps 10x what I have now (from another ADSL
>  provider).  He agreed that it was 10 times what I would have had in
>  the past.
>
> - he said that distance to the new CO-or-whatever was a secret and
>  would not tell me
>
> - I asked about the modem (wondering if they have some new
>  technology).  He said yes, but was really only talking about
>  features like being a router and switch on top of being a modem.
>  When pressed, he said it was same old ADSL.  2wire brand.
>
> Does anyone know what this is about?  Have Bell likely installed a
> "remote" to cut the length of the copper run?  Or something else?  Or,
> nothing (just an ad)?
>
> Oh, and what is "next generation" about this?

The man who is always a newbie at something,
Dave Germiquet

Everytime I learn something new,
I realize I know very little.