A video demo of MythTV

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 22 14:58:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 08:19:49PM -0500, Colin McGregor wrote:
> Small note,
>
> I ran across the following little video on MythTV:
>
>   http://revision3.com/systm/mythtv/
>
> The video is slightly dated in the following ways:
>
> - The pcHDTV-3000 TV tuner card has now be replaced by
> the pcHDTV-5500 TV tuner card.
>
> - The Zap2it Labs TV listing service has been shut
> down, and replaced by a service from Schedules Direct.
>
> - KnoppMyth is no longer the only Linux distribution
> specifically to support the set-up/install of MythTV
> (I am also aware of Mythdora and Mythbuntu). (to note
> my biases here I started with KnoppMyth, as it was the
> only game in town at the time. I have looked at
> Mythdora / Mythbuntu, they are nice, but not nice
> enough to make me change.).
>
> A features that I am fond of that were not mentioned
> in the video include:
>
> - auto skipping commercials

I find the commercial flagging handy, although it frequently makes
mistakes.  The auto skipping is hence useless since you can't rely on
the commercials being flagged properly.

> - the ability to change the menu look / appearance.

Well some of them look pretty, but the menus could probably use an
overhaul by someone with a clue about interface design.

--
Len Sorensen