Poll; Tape drives

Julian C. Dunn lists-JN5fZfbfKAtWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 28 04:08:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 14:54 -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:

> Quick, informal and terribly unscientific poll...
>
> 1. Do you still uses tape drives?
> 2. If you were looking at a new backup system, would you want to use
> tape drives?

I still use tapes. My home backup system is a DLT7000 drive, whose tapes
I take off-site (to the office). That said, I do realize that for most
home users, tape is exorbitantly expensive. I got this system
second-hand and if I had to buy all the tapes again at $40 apiece (new)
the media would cost me $600 alone -- enough to buy 10 hard disks.

Tape is still good for enterprise use though and I don't see it going
away there.

- Julian