Poll; Tape drives

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 28 04:19:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:08 PM, Julian C. Dunn <lists-JN5fZfbfKAtWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 14:54 -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
>
>  > Quick, informal and terribly unscientific poll...
>  >
>  > 1. Do you still uses tape drives?
>  > 2. If you were looking at a new backup system, would you want to use
>  > tape drives?
>
>  I still use tapes. My home backup system is a DLT7000 drive, whose tapes
>  I take off-site (to the office). That said, I do realize that for most
>  home users, tape is exorbitantly expensive. I got this system
>  second-hand and if I had to buy all the tapes again at $40 apiece (new)
>  the media would cost me $600 alone -- enough to buy 10 hard disks.
>
>  Tape is still good for enterprise use though and I don't see it going
>  away there.

I'm seeing backup systems where tape *is* going away.

At work, we're implementing a product called Asigra Televaulting.
<http://www.asigra.com/products/televaulting.php>
It is very much intended as a disk-based backup system.   They can
write backups to tape, but that's not preferred.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."  -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling