Colocation available in Durham Region?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 7 16:47:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 07:54:49PM -0500, Anthony de Boer wrote:
> In my experience in the business, "colo" means colocation of the
> customer's equipment in the datacentre, with the provider providing
> space, power, network access, and security.  That meant the customer
> would want a facility not too far away, and drove up the costs because of
> the security requirement (the customers would like it if the guy in the
> next shelf or cage doesn't accidentally elbow them, or "borrow" parts or
> anything like that) and because the computers were never the same shape
> or size so there was a fair bit of wasted space.

I was always amazed when I went to the wynford drive colo at Bell
(during my previous job a few years ago) that there didn't ever seem to
be anyone making sure you didn't go mess with someone elses computers.
After all if I turned around 180 degrees when working on the servers
there I was looking at boxes labeled "Sympatico/Lycos".  I imagine
someone would have been very upset if I poked at those. :)

I even went and swapped out a broken server once by making an
appointment over the phone, showing up at the front desk with a 6U
server, going down with it, swapping out the other one, and leaving with
the broken 6U server.  It never did seem very secure to me.

--
Len Sorensen