Colocation available in Durham Region?

Anthony de Boer adb-tlug-AbAJl/g/NLXk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 7 00:54:49 UTC 2008

Christopher Browne wrote:
> Not to be nosy, but I do wonder why...  In both personal and
> professional colo involvements, I haven't ever really had a reason to
> care if the location was even in the same timezone.

In my experience in the business, "colo" means colocation of the
customer's equipment in the datacentre, with the provider providing
space, power, network access, and security.  That meant the customer
would want a facility not too far away, and drove up the costs because of
the security requirement (the customers would like it if the guy in the
next shelf or cage doesn't accidentally elbow them, or "borrow" parts or
anything like that) and because the computers were never the same shape
or size so there was a fair bit of wasted space.

The opposite, "hosting", meant rental of the provider's computers, with
the customer never entering the facility, so you didn't need to subdivide
your security arrangements and could really pack in the systems.  This
would range from upload-only web accounts, to webservice accounts you could
SSH into, to virtual machines, and upward to whole-machine contracts.

--
Anthony de Boer