New project, "Code to Code"

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 16 21:53:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 01:40:43PM -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
> That is certainly a good "guiding principle" using the cookbook style.
> Though, I think every pair of languages will have their own interesting
> challenges, so I do not want to impose any format restrictions at this
> point. I figure over time a particularly good format will emerge.
>
> The only three rules I will enforce are:
> * That no debate about language A being better than Language B.
> * Any article only talks about the two languages in reference.
> * No articles act as a learning guide for the source language.
>
> To keep the scope of the project within reach, I want to keep a somewhat
> narrow focus on the technical differences between two languages. :)

I actually think trying to work in one language with a point of view of
another is simply going about things the wrong way.

What you should be doing is make a list of small sample problems along
with sample solutions for that problem in different languages.  This way
you can get good examples of how to use each language well, rather than
examples of how to ram language A's style into language B.

--
Len Sorensen