New project, "Code to Code"

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 16 18:40:43 UTC 2008

Phillip Mills wrote:
> ----- Message from linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org ---------
>
>> PS - Generic feedback on the greatness/ridiculousness of this project
>> are more than welcome. :)
>
> It seems like an interesting idea.  My first thought is about the "size
> and shape" of the examples that might be useful to include.  Perhaps
> things along the lines of the entries in the O'Reilly cookbook-style
> publications?  (Or whatever other guideline you may have in mind.)
>
> I've recently had reason to use some of the Wikipedia entries for design
> patterns and note that they have multi-language examples.  They aren't
> equivalent code line-by-line, but often different implementations of the
> same base principle.
> E.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decorator_pattern

That is certainly a good "guiding principle" using the cookbook style.
Though, I think every pair of languages will have their own interesting
challenges, so I do not want to impose any format restrictions at this
point. I figure over time a particularly good format will emerge.

The only three rules I will enforce are:
* That no debate about language A being better than Language B.
* Any article only talks about the two languages in reference.
* No articles act as a learning guide for the source language.

To keep the scope of the project within reach, I want to keep a somewhat
narrow focus on the technical differences between two languages. :)

Madi