Fwd: Ultra high surveillance conference

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 16 02:53:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 9:42 PM, Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> http://events.ccc.de/congress/2008/wiki/OpenBeacon_with_OpenAMD
>
> This event is using RFID tags to track each of the attendees every
> move.  There's an interesting comment on Harry Potter's Marauder's
> Map, which is something I'd never ever considered, that actually is a
> breach of civil liberties after all.

I'm sorry, but this is NOT a "breach of civil liberties."

Carrying the tag is NOT a civil ordinance - it requires *volunteering* to do so.

There's no "fine line" here; while it may indeed be intrusive, and
there may be plenty that may be inferred, there's also plenty that
*isn't* getting "surveilled."

It's not even controversial in the ways that people make noise about
vis-a-vis censorship (e.g. - "Walmart censors!  They only sell certain
books!!!") because individuals attending the conference have the
option to opt in or out on this.  Surveillance is not a "conference
condition."

Furthermore, it's only tracking the badge's location - participants
are free to opt out at any instant in time.

It seems like a pretty useful study, to see what temptations there
are, both pro and con.
Robert Orben  - "Older people shouldn't eat health food, they need all
the preservatives they can get."