Seeking local source for thin-client IDE flash modules.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 5 15:56:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 11:21:26PM -0500, Scott Sullivan wrote:
> I have a pair of HP t5000 thin clients I'm looking to put in to a stand
> alone workstation use. Their both equipped with 44pin apacer ATA flash
> modules [1]. The problem is the ones with the thin clients are 256mb and
> 512mb in size. I was hoping to find a local supplier I could purchase
> two of these in the 2-4 GB range so I could have more breathing room.
>
> I know there are plenty of distros target at this level (DSL and puppy
> linux), and I could also par down Fedora with the appropriate research
> and a kickstart file.

How about one of these:

http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/ad44midecf.asp

Then you just buy whatever size CF card you want for almost no money.
Since that adapter supports DMA, a UDMA capable flash card would be
quite fast (I have some here that can easily max out the IDE bus on
reads with 32MB/s.)

--
Len Sorensen