Seeking local source for thin-client IDE flash modules.

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 5 17:31:03 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 11:21:26PM -0500, Scott Sullivan wrote:
>
>> I have a pair of HP t5000 thin clients I'm looking to put in to a stand
>> alone workstation use. Their both equipped with 44pin apacer ATA flash
>> modules [1]. The problem is the ones with the thin clients are 256mb and
>> 512mb in size. I was hoping to find a local supplier I could purchase
>> two of these in the 2-4 GB range so I could have more breathing room.
>>
>> I know there are plenty of distros target at this level (DSL and puppy
>> linux), and I could also par down Fedora with the appropriate research
>> and a kickstart file.
>>

> How about one of these:
>
> http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/ad44midecf.asp
>
> Then you just buy whatever size CF card you want for almost no money.
> Since that adapter supports DMA, a UDMA capable flash card would be
> quite fast (I have some here that can easily max out the IDE bus on
> reads with 32MB/s.)

I've considered the CF option already based on the reason you outline,
and it would work well if I didn't have two addition requirements.
1) Sourcing a female-female 44 pin IDE cable to bridge the male pins on
the mobo and the pins on the cf-adapter.
2) Not caring about it sitting outside the thin client case as there is
near zero room inside it.

Thanks regardless as this info will likely be useful for other projects
down the road.
--
Scott Sullivan