Fwd: Please Stand Against the New Copyright Bill

Scott C. Ripley scott-VK/PCEBaDz+N9aS15agKxg at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 26 20:15:03 UTC 2008

> I'm not sure that was explained well.  Like I said, read the article.

i wouldn't have commented if i hadn't read your article...

> Not really.  I'm far more concerned at the low royalty rates paid to
> authors: an author writes the book, but the vast majority of the money
> goes to the big corporate publisher.  I also elude to this in the article.

big companies do make a lot of money off of creative people (musicians,
authors, etc.) by means of record contracts, publishing contracts, etc.

i do imagine that for most creative people, the contracts favour the big
companies, and it's only the truly big stars who can negotiate more
favourable arrangements...

however, imagine a world where:

- there are no more traditional book publishers or record companies:
     - authors/musicians/film-makers/etc. are able to publish/distribute
       their own music/books/films leveraging the internet
     - marketing of their books/music/films is accomplished via the internet:
         - social networks, youtube, internet radio, and
           other not yet-created mechanisms

it seems reasonable to me that these authors/musicians/film-makers/etc.
should have the right to "control" (define control: take action against people
who don't have the right to distribute) their work...

so if i write a book and i'm making it available for purchase at a
reasonable price in a e-book format on my web site (no DRM) and some
person decides to make a copy of it available for free - thus robbing me
of the way that i'm feeding my family - i hope i would be able to take
some sort of legal action to restore my revenue stream.

(and to be clear, i think:
   - DRM sucks
   - purchased music/video/e-books, etc. should be transferable
     from device to device for personal use by the individual who bought
     them
   - like any legislation, there are aspects of Bill C-60 that i'm fine
     with and other aspects that i take issue with
   - the suggestions for improving C-60 on:
       http://www.digital-copyright.ca/billc60/Consumer_Fact_Sheet.shtml
     seem reasonable to me)

Scott